Thursday, June 5, 2014

Timmy Trip to Chontapunta

Finally, I have visited all four geographical regions of Ecuador.  Up until last week, I had visited la Sierra (Andes mountains), la Costa (the coast) y los Galapagos, and was only missing el Oriente (the jungle).   With a final Timmy medical brigade, I was able to check el Oriente off my list.  

One day after returning from Perú, I left for Chontapunta, a very small "town" within the Amazon jungle, to work on one last Timmy brigade before heading home to the states.   As always, I absolutely LOVED the experience!  We stayed in wood cabins in the middle of the jungle, with freezing water and electricity only between 6pm and 10pm and absolutely no wifi - it was quite the "Amazon experience".  The clinics were very similar to those of my past brigades, though I did see much more acute problems and infections, rather than mainly chronic issues.  While interpreting, I saw patients with a anthrax, snake bites, and lots of parasites, to name a few.  Needless to say, everyday at clinic was fun and interesting.  

As the brigade was 10 days long instead of 7, we had a rest day half-way through.  And what better way to spend the day than to go rafting on some of the most well-known white water rapids of the world.  It was amazing, enough said!

Another amazing Timmy trip is in the books.  Hopefully, I have the chance to return to Ecuador on another Timmy trip in the future!  

Welcome to the jungle!
Our cabins - pretty nice for in the middle of the jungle!



The river right by our cabins - after long, hot clinic days, a nice swim couldn't be more refreshing
Swimming in the river!

One of our clinic sites








No comments:

Post a Comment