Friday, May 23, 2014

Perú: A Quick Trip Across the Border

The past week has been a week of running, hiking, buses, and lots of delicious food.  Lauren and I arrived in Lima, Perú early Friday morning.  Friday and Saturday were spent exploring Lima and trying lots of delicious Peruvian food.  It was fun to see the similarities and differences between Quito and Lima.  And I loved the change in food flavors (Peruvian food had a lot of Asian influence)!  Sunday, I ran my first ever half-marathon (yes - ran the WHOLE thing!).  While I enjoyed running through the city (kinda like a city-tour), I think I'm gonna stick with swimming :)

Five hours after we finished our races, we boarded our bus headed to Cusco (probably not the best idea considering it was a 22 hour bus ride).   Once we arrived in Cusco, we took an hour and half bus ride to Ollantaytambo, where we caught a 2 hour train to Aguas Calientes.  Midnight on Monday. we at our final destination, the town of Machu Picchu!  We spent Tuesday exploring Machu Picchu (and trust me, the travel was SOOOOO worth it - Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing!).  We hiked La Montaña Machu Picchu in the morning, giving us a wonderful view of the whole ruins site, and then spent the afternoon wandering throughout the ruins.  Wednesday morning, we hiked around the town of Ollantaytambo before heading back to Cusco to catch another 22 hour bus back to Lima.  In Lima, we had our final Peruvian meal before catching our flight back to Quito. 

Overall, it was a very quick trip, but so worth it!  Now, the adventures continue as I head off to the Amazon for 10 days on another Timmy brigade before heading back home to the states.  See you in 15 days West Chester!

Excited for our races!


Cusco plaza - I loved the backdrop of mountains!
On top of Montaña MachuPicchu
Looking out as the clouds cleared

Wandering through the ruins


A hike through ruins in Ollantaytambo before heading back to Lima



No comments:

Post a Comment