Monday, October 28, 2013

A Relaxing Week Followed By A Busy Weekend

I enjoyed my second week at El Nido just as much as my first.  I've been able to get to know the other workers much better, so now I feel as though I have a few more friends and people to talk to at work.  Also, I'm connecting with the girls more and more each day.  Whether it's playing basketball, helping with English or math, or watching their favorite soap opera, Corazon Valiente, I'm loving all the time that I get to spend with these girls.

On Saturday morning, ACF (the foundation I'm working with) hosted a Sports Day.  Two other foundations from the area came, and the girls spent the morning playing basketball in the local park.   I was called in to play in overtime of one game as a secret weapon, for I'm basically a giant to most Ecuadorians.  We did win the game 11 to 10!  I loved spending the morning playing with the girls and getting to know other ACF workers.

I spent Saturday afternoon with Colleen, Hannah and Lauren, the Fulbright scholars who graduated from college last year.  As Halloween is quickly approaching, we spent the afternoon shopping for Halloween costumes, followed by a movie night in one of their apartments.  For Halloween, we decided that we would be an Ecuadorian meal - each of us is going to be a different type of food.  Don't worry, I'll post lots of pictures!

On Sunday, I went with Lili and Jorge to Lili's parents house to celebrate Daniel's (Lili's brother) birthday.  It was nice to have a big family lunch, something that I have definitely been missing here.   After lunch, we went to Cotocachi, the leather capital of Ecuador.  There was a huge artisan market and you could find almost anything made of leather - belts, hats, bracelets, bags, coats, scarfs, boots!

Sunday night, I caught my first sickness.  Not sure if it was from the food (especially our dinner of cuy-guinea pig), or something else, but I've been pretty sick for the past 36 hours.   Luckily, there is plenty of rice and tea in my house!  

Playing basketball during overtime - we won by one point!
With all my girls after the games!

The market at Cotopaxi

My dinner of cuy - guinea pig





No comments:

Post a Comment