Friday, May 23, 2014

An Adventure Weekend in Baños

As my time here is quickly coming to an end, I have been super busy: visiting some final places on my bucket list, working my final days at the shelter, and beginning to say many difficult goodbyes to my friends and family here.  With that being said, get ready for multiple posts with some updates on my past few weeks of adventures!

First, my trip to Baños.   A few weekends ago, Melissa, Bijan (from Timmy global health) and I traveled to Baños (known as the "Adventure Capital of Ecuador") for a long weekend.  Baños is a half Andean/half Amazonian town at the base of the Tungurahua volcano.  We arrived on a Friday around noon and immediately went to the market for some lunch (add that to the list of things I will miss from Ecuador: $2 delicious lunches!). After lunch, we started out on hike #1.  We hiked to the top of a mountain in order to get a view of Tungurahua and it was a success!  We finished off the day with some meat and cheese fondue - so yummy!  The next day, we decided to rent bikes to visit the multiple waterfalls just outside of town.  The pouring rain didn't stop us :)  By noon, we had visited all the waterfalls and still had plenty of energy, so we decided to keep riding for a little longer.  Three hours and 60km later, we reached Puyo, Ecuador's largest jungle town.  After a little rest, we caught a bus back to Baños as we couldn't even imagine sitting on those bikes for a minute more.  Sunday morning, we woke up bright and early to hike up to "La Casa de Arból" (the famous tree house of Baños), where you can "swing at the end of the world".  

Tungurahua Volcano




"Swinging at the end of the world"





No comments:

Post a Comment