Friday, May 23, 2014

The Freedom Climb

Throughout my time here, I have become involved with several different organizations and foundations, one of which is Dunamis.  Dunamis is a ministry that focuses on teaching life skills to women who have been victims of rape, sex trafficking, domestic abuse and labor trafficking.  The girls from ACF visit Dunamis three times a week.  Dunamis holds workshops to teach the girls the basic skills of jewelry-making, sewing, and beauty, hoping to increase the girls' chances of finding a job and decrease the girls' chances of returning to prostitution.  

Every year, Dunamis holds "The Freedom Climb", a challenging hike on one of Ecuador's mountains with the goal to raise awareness of the human trafficking problem in Ecuador.   This year, we hiked Guagua Pichincha (the mountain that the TeleferiQo is on).  This hike was one of the hardest hikes I have ever done - I swear we were climbing at a 90 degree incline.  I was so proud to see all my ACF girls finish, as I know it was even more challenging for them.  Overall, a great hike with great people for a great cause.  

With Mar-loes and Melissa - two of my closest friends throughout this experience
The Dunamis team + me!


The End at 3,936 meters!

Congratulations after finishing the hike


No comments:

Post a Comment